How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

A change in HD memory.

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Teraphlate
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 749 times

Teraphlate

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and I was just wondering why is there a change in the amount of physical and virtual memory in a computer.
For example, I recently purchased a 320GB hard drive. When I set everything up, the amount of memory displayed is 288GB. I have become aware that this also occurs on iPods, USBs, and any kind of device with memory. I know that this is a naturally occurring phenomena and I can't do anything about it however I am just curious why this occurs.
Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi Teraphlate. The simple answer is:- When you buy a drive, the size is expressed in decimal GB's. The system uses binary (1024 as opposed to 1000)
Plus you loose a some space with formatting.

Posted 5 years ago

gauravashq

Teraphlate, When we allocate the file-system for example FAT,NTFS, EXT2,EXT3 etc (you can call it as a constant space alloted on the drive to put the system sequentially in a perticular manner e.g. somewhat like a book-rack in your room) then that data regarding file-system(the book-rack in room) is also needed to be stored on the hard-disk along with the data of the components attached to that system. More the hard-disk, larger will be the space taken by the file-system to devide whole drive in chunks for data storage and hence more disk space is used. Each drive has the concept of File-System whether that is a Hard-Disk or a Pen/Thumb Drive. Cheers :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

And you will have another surprise coming. If you run Vista, the system will write a shadow (restore point) at least once per day. That is about 1GB per shadow. That will go on until it has filled about 45GB's (15% of your C:\ disk). So don't be amazed if you loose disk space rapidly in the next days. But once it reaches 45GB's, it will start reusing that space. You have plenty of disk capacity. There is no need to worry.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs it seems as though you have to explain this one a lot you should or someone else should make a wiki article on it then you could just post a link to it. :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jack, you are probably right. But then again, each case is a little different and I know people don't like to read lengthy pamphlets. If you make a write up to cover all grounds, it will be lengthy. For now I'll feed it in small doses and then we'll see.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i guess you are right on that :)

u r a very wise one u whs

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Wisdom comes with age - they say. Problem is, you have to get so damn old before it shows up, that you cannot do anything with it any more.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ah whs....You have the Wisdom of Solomon in you.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

but we all learn your wisdom early in life then we can do the work for you :)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

LH,

Didn't mean to start such a commotion with my animated avatar, just figured everyone knew how to make one.

Sorry About That.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Rick. I hate the blinkin' things (pun intended). So I certainly would not read the instructions on how to make one :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jack, you are very kind. And kindness is as valuable as wisdom.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@lighthouse i'm going to make mine extra blinky just for you :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!