The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

802.11ac Wireless router

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by wmk
  • Latest reply from wmk
  • Topic Viewed 910 times

wmk

Is anyone using such a router? Any problems with it? I am thinking of getting one.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

You might want to say which one? I've seen many and there are different versions and speeds from the same vendor and within models.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

wmk

I am thinking of ASUS RT-AC66U

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

The FEEDBACK TAB is not to good for that router.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....#38;Page=1

Too many Manufacturer Responses for a product which has had 5 firmware updates.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Rick, I've got an older ASUS RT-N56U. ASUS has released umpteen Flashes for the router, they had released up to drop letter N, and now have switched over to an integrated one for the non-AC N65 I think, and have 2 drops of that one.

ASUS is very active. Padavan, a Russian who gets the s/w, then also produces versions, so far only for the RT-N56U and RT-N65U. I'm running that s/w, has additional features, and that too gets updated frequently.

Don't sell it short. Feedback/Reviews don't always tell the full story... sometimes too many 'plants' and other times just those that are unhappy post.

Me, I'm waiting for the AC 'dust' to settle. Look at this BEST BUY AC ROUTER LIST and look at the speed differences... Which one is 'really' better?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

wmk

How long for the DUST to settle?
I read a magazine article comparing several models and the ASUS one comes out top.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I have no clue...

I can't even figure out which 'speed' to get? We've got a lot of devices here, running N speed now, but I'm not sure what would work best? I do have some devices when on that are G only. Mix of computers too, W8 and W7 as well as XP Pro. Network cards could be a problem with drivers. Home Theater is N now, might not have AC device for instance. Also the iPad's are N speed.

I do have 40Mbps Inet service so I could use more 'speed'.

I'll wait though. Off hand, I'm inclined to get the fastest possible though.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@wmk. You can't always go by magazine articles and reviews. They either parrot the company's own hype or, if they actually do test them, it is always short term because oif deadlines, etc. While negative customer revie figures tend to be skewed even more negatively, those are often based on longer term usage than the magazine tests. For example, a popular PC magazine recently reviewed several all-in-one laser printer/scanners and rated two or three Brothers at or near the top of the heap. But when I checked customer reviews at a couple of different vendors, long term usage showed the toner cartridge life to be skewed because the Brothers would shut down while the cartridge capacity was still showing 25% full, something the magazine totally. I politely challenged the magazine on this and they responded with lame excuses basically indicating incompetence and that they didn't really care. While I always check out multiple review sources before making a purchasing decision, this incident reinforced the need to validate magazine reviews/recommendations. A magazine can alert you to a new product, which is useful (my decision for a future monitor purchase originated with a magazine review), but don't blindly take their word for its quality.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

More Current Information
Computer World January 8, 2013

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....geNumber=1

Posted 1 year ago

wmk

I know I cannot rely totally on a PC magazine article. That's why my question here. Also, some of the stuff discussed are too technical for me to understand.

Posted 1 year ago

wmk

The reason I was looking for the 802.11ac was that my internet service recently upgraded to 500Mbps.
I don't want to buy the 802.11n now that ac is on the horizon.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

When ac comes out ad will be on the very close horizon...you are only on top for a short while,:) ad will be backwards compatible back to a on its own apparently.

Posted 1 year ago

Jafo

I bought this router last year and it's great. It runs both n and ac at the same time and your device will only see what it's capable of connecting to.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-.....ess+router

I have 2 PS3's, 1 TV, 1 Blu-ray, 2 iphones, 1 droid, 2 laptops, 1 kindle, 1 kindle fire hd, and 1 media PC that streams movies connected.

Posted 1 year ago

wmk

I may be wrong, but I thought 802.11n was good only for upto 300Mbps. 802.11ac is, according to the magazine article, several times faster than n. Also, ac is backward compatible with a/b/g/n. That is good enough for me and I'm not concerned about the following ad.

NETGEAR R6300 is one of the 4 routers being compared with ASUS RT-AC66U in the article, together with D-Link DIR-865L and Buffalo WZR-D1800H. Both NETGEAR and ASUS have high performance, but ASUS has 3 other advantages.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

As Irv S. said above, I would wait until all the NEW Products are introduced such as below.

http://www.consumerelectronics.....id=2368100

2013 International CES, Jan. 8-11, 2013 in Las Vegas is just getting underway.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

"but I thought 802.11n was good only for upto 300Mbps"

No, not true... Belkin started with proprietary protocol and specific network adapter and router getting 450Mbps... now others have it as well.

Secondly, if you are going wireless numbers are numbers, no guarantee you'll even get anywhere NEAR it, especially when you go further away. For instance, N routers that are dual-band are the older 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radio SSID. The 2.4Ghz is quite susceptible interference from microwave's, portable phones, other routers, etc. The 5Ghz isn't as much as 5Ghz router radio SSID are no where near as prevalent as the 2.4Ghz are and they operate on different bands. One drawback, the 5Ghz doesn't have as much of a range as the 2.4Ghz does.

On top of that, unless you are transferring files and/or running programs off of your local LAN computers, you'll never REACH the speed from the Internet. Yeah, some sites will match and use all your available Mbps, but most are just 'slow'.

If you look at the link Rick posted above this one, you'll see that router also supports 450N speed, but you NEED to have the companion Network Adapter to get it.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

wmk

Right. So I better wait and see it all first. Or should I just go for the 802.11n?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

If you are working fine now, I'd wait.

I guess the question becomes 'why' do you want to upgrade? You said you had 500Mbps service, and this is really fast.

You mention upgrading, I assume you are at G now then? From the various 'speed test sites' are you really getting that speed now?

I assume you are wireless. Wired generally is 1GB now? Going to N or AC will not make a difference here.

How many computers/devices do you have?

Your ISP might supply you with a router as well, especially with that speed. Mine does, but it isn't a 'good' router and they (the ISP) are the only ones that have access to it. Will NOT give me the p/w or even the UserID. Tech who installed it did, but I couldn't change them, and in a few days I no longer had access as the ISP changed it again as they had remote control of it. Had to have it BRIDGED to my own router so I could make settings changes, like fixed IP addresses for each device.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

wmk

I guess I have not made myself clear. It is the ISP who offered an increase in speed to me. My wireless router (which came with my laptop) has a speed way way below that. So, in order to fully utilize the service offered, I have to upgrade my router. Thus, the urge to buy it now.
Currently, I am only using the router for my laptop and my smartphone. Very wide coverage is therefore not needed. It might even be a minus, not a plus, for security reasons?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.