The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

7th Guest stops responding under Vista

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by splodge5847
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 7874 times

splodge5847

I have successfully installed 7th Guest for Windows on my Dell Inspiron running Windows Vista. The opening credits work fine but when I start a new game, during the opening story sequences the program stops responding.

I have tried to change the compatability of the application but the further back the Windows version the sooner the program stops responding.

I shall be grateful for your help.

Regards,

Roger

Posted 6 years ago

DLZ
DLZ

1. i dont know the Game ....

2. ill look into it :)

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Sounds suspiciously like a video card problem..

Posted 6 years ago

blastph3my

Taybay is right. Make sure you've updated your video card drivers and see if there's a documentation saying anything about your video card model on the developer's website. While you're at it, give us your graphics card specs.

Posted 6 years ago

splodge5847

Thanks for that. I'll get back with that info as soon as I can.

Roger

Posted 6 years ago

splodge5847

The video card is NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

what version of Dell inspiron do you have? I have a Dell Inspiron 510m which is upgraded but XP, and my friend also has a Dell Latitude. If you can tell me what Dell you have i can look into the specs and have a look at what you require to play the game etc.

Posted 6 years ago

splodge5847

Thanks Hash, I appreciate your interest. Spec follows:-

Model INSPIRON 531
Rating 3.0 Windows Experience Index
Processor AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor +- 2.01GHz
Memory RAM 958
System Type 32-bit Operating System

I get the longest run of the introduction when the compatablty tab is left alone. This opening sequence stops at the same point each time. When Stauff starts to carve the doll, if you know the game)

Thanks again.

Roger

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

You never actually told us what game it is =P

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Is it by any chance 7th Guest? :)

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Doh. Right.

Posted 6 years ago

DLZ
DLZ

Dhuu ... he said it in the First Post ....7th guest.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Doh....we all realise that :)

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

Lol, its 7th Guest, it was released in 1993 wow, seems like a classic puzzle game. Anyway i browsed some forums, and found most people are having trouble with their audio and video cards. But if thats the case it will take a long time tweaking your settings to make the game work. Otherwise here are some methods you can try:

Method 1 : Fully uninstall and get rid of the game of your computer. Then before installing it do Defrag, Disk Clean up, and Check DIsc all located in your Accessories>System Tools. Make sure thoroughly complete each of the three. Try installing it again and while running in make sure no other programs are running etc, You know the basic stuff. It might work then or just read the whole 7th Guest setup i found at a forum that i cbs typing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~inf....._Setup.htm

Hopefully that helps

Posted 6 years ago

splodge5847

Thanks very much Hash for all your efforts. I shall give it a go. I played the game when it first came out but got stuck towards the end with a game found by looking down a microscope. This was their version of Othello and beat me every time. YouTube has walkthroughs of the game by the way. Iechyd da as we say in Wales.

Roger

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

splodge tell me if it works, thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hey splodge5847 is that the proper spelling of Yucky da?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!