How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

78y5 Bringing up WMP

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Aussiebrumby
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 891 times

Aussiebrumby
Aussiebrumby

I have had an issue of =78y5 being typed, whenever I try to type something, and windows media player pops up. I have searched many forums trying to find out how to stop this, if it is a virus - how to get rid of it etc etc. I have reformatted the computer 3 times, tried 5 different free anti virus programs, including kaspersky, however, nothing works. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi Aussiebrumby ,

Welcome to HTG ,

Does it happen in Safe mode ?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you run Malwarebytes and/or Superantispyware?

Posted 1 year ago

Aussiebrumby
Aussiebrumby

I've tried to get into safe mode, but the virus makes everything flicker and I can't navigate the arrow keys. It really is a nasty thing. I have downloaded and tried every free anti virus I know of, including Avira, Avast, AVG, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Superantispy, Hijack this.... to name a few. Nothing works. It removed me from administrator etc.

I am typing this from a different computer as it won't even let me type in my username and password to the forum.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

If you've reformatted the computer 3 times like you say you did and it's still doing it I doubt it's a virus, unless it's a boot sector virus or rootkit or similar. Have you tried a different keyboard?

Posted 1 year ago

Aussiebrumby
Aussiebrumby

Just managed to get into safe mode. Ran Malwarebytes in safe, and it found something called PUP.CrossFire.Sa. This was deleted by Malwarebytes, however, the virus popped up again and started flicking all over the screen, wouldn't let me save the notepad file onto the desktop.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

It is nasty and it is a trojan I think you are looking at a system reinstall. I can't stay on try what the other members recommend. Seems like you tried all the normal one's already.

Posted 1 year ago

Aussiebrumby
Aussiebrumby

I wiped the computer and reinstalled from Toshiba discs 4 times... so I am lost. Nothing I do seems to help, it just gets worse.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Aussiebrumby, have a read here...
http://answers.yahoo.com/quest.....151AAEWQvA
Another option...
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Aussiebrumby
Aussiebrumby

Interestingly enough, I uninstalled Advance System Care 6. After rebooting, the computer would not load windows explorer at all. I am again reformatting, will not download Advance System Care again, and hope that this may somehow fix the issue. Thank you Hermitt for the links. If the issue happens after this reformat, I will try the advice on those links :)

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Good luck Aussiebrumby.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Aussiebrumby
Aussiebrumby

Thanks Jim, will let you know what happens :)

Jacquie

Posted 1 year ago

Aussiebrumby
Aussiebrumby

No go. The virus started straight away after reformatting. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new hard drive.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You could DBAN the drive, and start again. It will wipe your drive completely,
http://www.dban.org/

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Jacquie, have you created that Kaspersky rescue disk 10 yet?
If you boot with it, it will scan your hdd for viruses & rootkits.
It it finds nothing bad, then use LH's advice and dban the hdd.
Also, sometimes just deleting the partition and creating a new one will fix it.
Try everything you can before you go out and spend money for a new hdd.

best of luck,
Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!