The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - 64 bit RAID Drivers for Windows-7

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by JackC
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 24274 times

JackC

It appears, currently that RAID controller cards with "signed" drivers are few and expensive ($500.00 up). I’m unable to find 64 bit signed drivers for my PNY PCIx SATA II RAID card. Currently I have 32 bit Vista with RAID-0 using that card. I also have 64 bit Windows-7 RC on a single drive (bios controlled boot), but, of course, I want to be prepared on 10/22. I want to load 64 bit Windows-7 RC into RAID-0. I’ve tried many routines, but each without success. I also tried a Promise FastTrak TX4310 PCI Controller and failed. I’m sure that I’m not alone in this situation (at least I hope not): Does anyone know of a proven work-a-round? Thank-you in advance! Jack.C

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

JackC, hello. Is that the PCI-E SATA II RAID 2-ch card? I see drivers on this page at PNY. There is also a PDF Installation Guide on this page. It discusses 64-bit drivers for Vista. I would think that those would work on Windows 7. Have you tried it?

Posted 5 years ago

JackC

ScottW, Thanks very much; and I apologize for the delay. Yes and Yes. When attempting to load drivers the system won't take any of the PNY drivers in 64 bit. I guess my next move is to buy an Intel RAID capable motherboard to assure that the RAID drive can be seen in the Seven 64 bit install. But, I’m still hoping for a work-a-round.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

When you say the system "won't take" the drivers, what does that mean? Is there an error message? I'm wondering if they won't take because they are not signed, they don't match the card's hardware ID, or what.

Posted 5 years ago

JackC

I get the message "...No signed Drivers..." and unlike Vista clicking ok does not work.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Jack, you could try disabling driver signature enforcement to see if those drivers will work with Win7 x64. Restart and go to the F8 menu, Advanced Boot Options, and select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement". Then see if the drivers will pass the signature check. Be careful with this option -- I'm told that it does not survive a restart.

Posted 5 years ago

JackC

Scott,
Bingo! Disabling driver signature enforcement worked. It worked smoothly, and without consequential effects. Obviously I was completely unaware of that option within the Windows7 install media.
Repeating your solution: Restart and go to the F8 menu, Advanced Boot Options, and select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" I'm sure this will help others. Thank you very much. JackC

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Jack, that's great that it works -- you are welcome. However, please don't forget the caveat when listing those instructions. You will need to stop at the F8 menu on *every* boot and disable signing enforcement if you want those drivers to be loaded. You asked for a workaround and this is definitely one!

Since your drivers are for a RAID controller card, you should make sure that you have an alternate way to access the array if something terrible happens to Win7. I'm thinking of something such as a bootable recovery disc that can access the array. Also, you should e-mail PNY and Promise and pester them to provide official signed 64-bit drivers by 10/22, or sooner.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.