SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

5 Tech Trends You Can't Afford to Ignore.

(18 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by alexstewart
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 506 times

alexstewart

Silicon Valley was aflutter this week with Mary Meeker's bold new report on Internet trends. Here's what you missed.
When Mary Meeker speaks, the Valley listens.

This week, Meeker, a general partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (the venture firm founded in 1972 that's invested in pretty much every major tech company of the last quarter century) unveiled her 88-page analysis of Web, mobile, technology, and societal trends.

Here, we've excerpted the most important elements of the report, especially trends that may affect small business and startups.

1) You should care about China. And India. And Indonesia.

Emerging markets have always played a key role in expansion, but the Internet has magnified this principle. Here, Meeker outlines the role of international Internet adoption. As you can see, it's huge. From 2008 to 2012, China added 282 million Internet users, bringing their total number of users close to double the population of the United States.

2) Your mobile strategy may be the most important part of your business.

In 2008, only about $0.7 billion was made on mobile. By the end of 2012, the mobile market will have ballooned to a staggering $19 billion, split 67 percent between apps and 33 percent ads. According to Meeker, when looking at the average time users spend on on media, people spend about ten percent of their "media time" on mobile--but just 1 percent of ad spend is spent on mobile. In other words, despite current user adoption, there's still plenty of room for growth. Another fact to note: In India, mobile Internet traffic surpassed desktop Internet traffic in May, 2012.

3) Don't forget about Android users.

Meeker is bullish on Android as a platform. According to her calculations, iPhone adoption has exploded in the last four years, but Android phone adoption "has ramped even faster – nearly 6x iPhone."

4) If you sell a product, you'd be crazy not to focus your e-commerce on mobile and tablet apps.

This chart pretty much speaks for itself: By 2012, about a quarter of all Internet shopping traffic on Black Friday were made on either mobile or a tablet.

5) Tech start-ups are leading the charge.

Meeker has a lengthy section "reimagining" what the world will look like--going from desktops to tablets, cash to cashless, maps to navigation systems, etc. Of course, like any good venture capitalist, Meeker found a way here to plug a few of Kleiner's portfolio companies, including Gumroad (e-payments), Quirky (product design), Evernote (note taking), DocuSign (electronic signatures), and Square (mobile payments).

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

http://positivefuturist.com/archive/281.html :) :)

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Yep, 6 months ago I would not have believed some of these statements. But since I have my Nexus 7, I hardly use the PCs any more. The tablet is so much more practical and has so many functions that the PC does not have. I can speak to it and it speaks to me. I use it for free phone calls via VoIP, I watch my German news with 1 tap, etc. And the Android OS is very fast - and also all Internet activities are instant.

All I want to add now is a bluetooth keyboard with trackpad for some 50 dollar because typing is not a tablet strength. So for less than $300 I have a full function system. And the way Android is going, there will a be a lot more to come. Who needs Windows 8 and these overpriced MS tablets.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

My question with all these new devices is "what work can be done with them" ??

From what I see, they are all just communication and entertainment machines.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

The GPS is a nice feature and gotta say it, very helpful.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

What Rick said. Although some productivity can be done on them, it's more cumbersome than on a desktop or laptop.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

GPS is Good although hardware dependent. :)

Out of the 1000s of Apps that are available, what others could be used for real work ??

Posted 2 years ago

whs

E.g. with the Groove IP app I can make free phone calls in the US, Canada and from Europe to the US and Canada - all via VoIP. Will save me a lot of money. Interestingly enough the calls from the US to Europe cost - 2 Cents/minute.

The Wiki with which you can talk (ask questions) and get a spoken and written answer is handy too. If you ask for a location - e.g. Endicott, NY, you get a map. If it does no have a canned answer, it gives you web links for the subject.

With some browsers you can also talk and answer your mails by saying the text. Works very well.

And I have had this tablet only for a little over a week of which I wasted 3 days with the rooting - until I discovered that the fault was in my desktop. When I used one of the laptops, it was a 10 minute affair.

The only one weak point is the typing. But a bluetooth keyboard will fix that. The office suite I purchased for $6,50 is excellent. Has programs like Word, PowerPoint, Excel and some more. Even uses the MS Office filetypes.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Is moderating HowtoGeek real work? I use my tablet for that. Can't think of anything I can't do on my tablet that I can do on the computer.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Another advantage of the tablet is that you can do useful work from day1 - and I had no prior knowledge of any Android. When I got my first PC, I needed days/weeks before I was able to do anything useful.

Maybe that's the reason why MS put that playmobile interface into Windows 8.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

No, moderating or answering questions on a computer forum is not real work, such tasks most probably fall in the category of avocations or hobbies. I doubt very seriously if present tablets could be used in CAD design work or even for programing robotic machines on factory floors due the limited physical nature of such devices.

This will change however as the devices mature and their technology evolves even more quickly. Also the "definition of work" is ever changing.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

The definition of work changes based on the age of the worker.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

"Also the 'definition of work' is ever changing." Yet it remains a four lettered word.

It seems the younger the worker, the less work they are willing to do.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

I don't thing many now get the experience of throwing chain around pipe coming out of the ground and the urgency plus the danger of the situation.

Pay was good in the sweltering summer heat of west Texas and got me through school in the winter.. (LOL) :) :)

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

The closest I ever got to throwing chain around pipe coming out of the ground was pulling fence posts. Not hardly on your scale. LOL!

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Roustabout on the rigs and in the motor/pump shops makes one appreciate education and tablets for sure ! :)

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

This country is and continues to go through a drastic change. First it was the industrial revolution, then automation and now a country of service evolution. We have shipped most of the mfg jobe overseas. What we haven't shipped different agencies and unions have put the dampers on. That said I think most of the older members have a different definition for the word "Work". Technology is the driving factor in today's world. Does anyone think Apple and all the other mfg's of these new gadgets would continue making them if there wasn't the demand for them.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

"Roustabout on the rigs and in the motor/pump shops makes one appreciate education and tablets for sure ! :) "

So does working on line construction crews, in a machine shop, and in warehousing (all with the same company over a 32 year period). It's no wonder my body is falling apart.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.