Sometime back my uncle gave me a 4th generation 40gb ipod. He started having problems with it and bought a new one to replace it. When I first got it, the screen with the folder and exclamation mark would pop up when it was turned on. I didnt have time to mess with it then and put it away. I came across it again yesterday, but by now the battery has run down. After hooking it up to my computer for a while, I unplugged it and turned it on. The apple screen would come up like normal, hard drive would spin, then it would shut back off. It would usually do this a couple of times, then shut back down. I left it charging for longer. Now when I unplug the charger, the screen showing a charger plugging into a wall outlet shows up for a while, hard drive spins, then it shuts back down. My computer will not recognize it, either in itunes or as an external drive.
I figure the problem is either in the hard drive or the logic board. But, I don't want to buy replacement parts until I get a better idea of where the problem lies.
Any ideas on what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Posted 5 years ago