SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - 4GB installed (2.99GB useable)

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mickeyblue
  • Latest reply from mickeyblue
  • Topic Viewed 23780 times

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

my problem is as stated, under properties in my computer it says this, ive installed 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM, but it only shows 3GB under pagefile aswell, using Win7 ultimate, have i installed the RAM in the wrong slots? im at a loss here, any help with be appreciated

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Are you running Windows 7 64bit or 32 bit? 32bit Windows will not be able to use all 4GB.

Here's a little reading that might explain better than i can:
http://www.codinghorror.com/bl.....00811.html

Posted 4 years ago

attsware

Hi mickeyblue
I had the same problem as I upgraded my system and I installed 8gb or memory and was using 32bit W7, I had to upgrade to 64bit W7 because 32bit only recognises around 3.25 of memory, Because I have 8gb or memory it now recognises 7.75 of memory.

You have 4gb of memory it will not really benefit you buying and installing 64bit OS
That is just my opinion

Hope this helps
Bry

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

thanks for the response,yeah i was aware that 32-bit OS only recognizes 4GB but didn't realize a WHOLE 1GB will not get recognized, weird thing is, i originally installed the memory in the dual channel slots (P55 mobo with I5 CPU) then it said 4gb installed (1.99GB usable) then i changed the one stick to slot in next to the other not in dual channel and now it reads as above, hmmmmmmmm wonder if its bios setup problem?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

OKEY DOKEY!!! i think i finally found the problem and its NOT the 32-bit 64-bit RAM deal either!!
when running (RAM in SINGLE channel) WIn7 32-bit i get 4GB installed (2.99GB useable)
when running (RAM in Dual channel) Win7 32-bit i get 4GB installed (1.99GB useable) PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

for a while i didnt understand, but today i installed WIn7 64-bit in dual-boot and i got the following

when running (RAM in SINGLE channel) Win7 64-bit i get 4GB installed .............as it should be
when running (RAM in DUAL channel) Win7 64-bit i get 4GB installed (1.99GB available) PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

so i think my 1 RAM slot is not working, only single channel is working. Motherboard is a Biostar Tpower I55.
the board has 4 slot, 2 in white and 2 in orange, primary boot slot are the orange, however the when i use the one orange slot i get the problems above, yet when i have the RAM installed in single channel (1 in white 1 in different orange slot) i get the result as above.
what do you think? is the 1 orange RAM slot faulty?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

**UPDATE** i took out my RAM sticks, then only slotted 1 stick in the A1 RAM (orange) slot, this slot according to the manual is the primary boot slot along with B1 (another orage slot) i powered on and i got errors, would not even hold power for longer than 10seconds, then switched off, and started same cycle again and again. so by this deduction im sure the A1 RAM slot is dead. time for an RMA, unless im missing something please let me know.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

GOT IT!!! i did more troubleshooting and found the problem to be the A1 RAM channel, so i called the shop i got my motherboard from, they brought me a new one, and VIOLA, all good, now in 64-bit i can use all my 4GB's of RAM, in dual channel that is most important.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.