How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

4:3 aspect ratio (fixed) on old laptop?

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by forallmankind
  • Latest reply from forallmankind
  • Topic Viewed 992 times

forallmankind

Hi guys,

I tried installing win 8 64bit on my old fujitsu laptop (centrino duo, t7200). two weird things i encountered :

#1 : the monitor resolution is stuck @ 1024x768, when it should be 1280x800 instead. The resolution dropdown box is greyed out and I've already done a windows update. no change. there's also no dedicated graphics drivers for the laptop (It's a Fujitsu Lifebook E8210), so i'm pretty much at a loss now.

#2 : the laptop freezes intermittently, for a couple of seconds each time, and resumes back to normal thereafter. initially i suspected the ram (because it was a pathetic 1gb), but upon checking task manager, only 65% was utilized - nowhere near full capacity. what went wrong?

Posted 2 years ago

forallmankind

more info - this com was using win xp sp3 previously and was smooth as butter.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

forallmankind, BTW you can edit your posts for up to 30 mins.
win 8 is not is not based on win xp sp3 in anyway or form.
You have encountered a driver problem, try the Vista or Win 7 drivers on the fujitsu website.

As you say, the lappy is 'old' and you may not get drivers to work.
1gb ram is considered pretty poor nowadays, but the fact it is showing 65% merely shows the tasks running in the background now and not under stress.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

forallmankind

hi,

I kept the task manager on top at all times and while the thing froze, I wasn't doing anything strenous to the laptop, e.g. going to yahoo.com.

i understand it won't be as fast as XP, but i'm just surprised it just freezes intermittently - thought it might be a software problem instead.

anyway, why would win8 not search for the drivers automatically and update them?

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

forallmankind ,

Is the Laptop 64bit compatible ?

Posted 2 years ago

forallmankind

Hi there,

Yes it is 64bit certified.

feel free to see the specs here : http://ark.intel.com/products/.....sor-T7200-(4M-Cache-2_00-GHz-667-MHz-FSB)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.