How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

4 G Speed

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cinque8
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 362 times

cinque8

Hi,

I use a Virgin Mobile 4G USB stick to connect my laptop to the Internet. Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint WiMax 4G network. The Sprint Network should have download speeds of 3 to 6 Mbs. However, when I look at my Network Connections in my Control Panel it shows:

Local Area Connection 4

WiMAX Network Adapter

Speed: 100.0 Mbps

There is no way that my network speed could be 100.0 Mbs, so where is that number coming from?

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Try this, http://www.speedtest.net/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I would test it downloading a big file and time it.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

That number comes up on many Wifi connections because it is within the standards. It is an arbitrary number.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

The name Local Area Connector usually refers to the Wired connection which is 10/100/1000Mbps. Wireless connections are usually named Wireless Network Connections. If you are connected via wire you will see the intenal LAN speed of 100Mbps not the network (WAN) speed.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Typically local area network (LAN) connections run at 100 Mbps. Of course, this is only the speed of your local area network and not the Internet. That is, if you have multiple computers or other devices connected to your LAN, they can communicate with each other at this speed. Connecting to computers outside of your LAN through the Internet is dependent upon your connection speed to your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Yeah, agree with Warlock, that is the maximum theoretical speed...they actually tested 90Mbs in trials. 6Mbs seems not very good for 4G unless you are well-obstructed or far away from a transmitter. I'm on 3 Network's 3.73G and usually get 6-12Mbs download and 2-3Mbs upload and this is not their superfast option.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!