How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

3.5" SATA HDD as 2.5" SATA Laptop HDD Replacement

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by TheFreak
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 3682 times

owen123
owen123

Hmm, fair point, especially with older machines / broken batteries, i barely move my laptop

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

TheFreak,
The motor in your 3.5" hdd draws more power then your laptop power supply has available. Remember if you were JUST using the 3.5" hdd on the laptop it might work but the laptop power supply has to run the processor, light the screen, power the sound and graphics systems. Even though these draw little power they still consume a fair amount. If you read your laptop specification sheet you will see the max. PSU output. Then look at your 3.5" hdd and you might get a better understanding. We don't want to see you burn up your motherboard.
If you still want to try using your 3.5" hdd I would suggest you invest in the adapter whs suggested.
If you go the other way and purchase a PSU to powerup your 3.5" hdd you can buy an enclosure and you won't have your SATA cables draped across your lap or desk.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

g-x. It's not so much the laptops power supply, but more the copper tracks on the motherboard itself. They can't handle the extra current for a 3.5".
But doing what I said, will work fine.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!