• Topic Viewed 1258 times

jack7h3r1pp3r

i am looking for more of an upgrade than a full build all i really need is:

1. a SATA HDD

2. MOBO

3. RAM

4. and PROC (thinking amd)

for around 300 can be less (would be better) or a bit above like $350
all i really need is some stuff that has good speed and i will be running Ubuntu.
I have been browsing through newegg looking at some stuff. and will be posting some when i get a chance probs soon but suggestions are welcome

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

not really a full list yet and not a for sure list either just a quick browse

HDD:
Seagate ST303204N1A1AS-RK 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
Item #: N82E16822148317
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6822148317

MOBO:
ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131172
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813131172

Proc:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103773
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6819103773

i don't have any ram yet because i'm not sure what is really good ram and how much i should get either. i was thinking around like 4 gbs of ram? maybe more not sure yet. well there is my list so start firing away with some suggestions or tips or just whatever comes to mind.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

HDD - Love those Seagates, even a late model. Quiet, reliable, and a 5-year warranty -- you can't go wrong.

Mobo - I'm no expert on AMD chipsets, but that 690G is certainly loaded with features. With built-in graphics and HD audio, you pretty much have a whole new system here. One thing that jumped out at me: only 4 USB ports ready, with 3 headers on the board. I would need more than 4 to get by, so I hope you have places to connect the other (up to) 6 ports.

Proc - Again, no AMD expert, but this one seems a little behind the times. 90 mm fab and 2x1MB L2? Maybe that's how AMD keeps the price down. If so, that's fine.

RAM - with that mobo, it's DDR2 800 max. From what I have seen, DDR2 DIMMs are pretty cheap these days. Pick a trusted brand and the best timings you can get within your budget. You could even drop back to DDR2 667 with tight timings if it saves money. 4 GB sounds good, especially if you plan to use that integrated 690G graphics. The integrated graphics will take it's RAM from main memory -- up to 1 GB!

Since you will be running Ubuntu and not Windows, these parts should be plenty. Here's something I never thought about: can you run 64-bit Ubuntu to use all 4 GB of memory? If you use only 32-bit Ubuntu, what's the max memory available to the OS?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The AMD 6000+ is an excellent and fast processor (2000FSB). But it runs a little hot. You need good cooling. You might want to consider the 5600+ as an alternative.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Is this the 5600+ we are talking about?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6819103234

I like the 65 nm fab process, and roughly half(!) the power consumption. But, the L2 cache is smaller at 2 x 512MB. That's an odd design decision.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Ya, the key is the power consumption (heat) and performance is very close to the 6000+. Yes, the 2x512 L2 was standard for all those processors - but it seems to work well. I have a 4800+ in one system and are very happy with it (happier than with the Q6600).

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i read that 4GB's is that max for 32 bit ubuntu

and for the MOBO i don't really use many usb ports all i have are a mouse and external HDD, and maybe a keyboard soon and i have ports on the front of the case i will be using

edit: i switched out the proc with the one scottw posted

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Jack,

Want me to give that GO or NO-GO on each H/W Component ?? (LOL)
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@rick you can make one if you want to lol

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@jack,
No, you have to decide for yourself.

I will say this however; although it's not your fault, think your budget is a bit too lean AND new products for Christmas Season are just around the corner plus H/W prices are going to drop more due to present economic turmoil.

Might want to think about putting off upgrade a couple of months and get more bang for your bucks.

Of course it's your call.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

well it will be a couple months to get the money together because right now i have about 10 dollars in my name LOL so a build is going to have to wait for a bit i am just starting to look around again because i haven't really paid attention to the newer stuff in a while and looking at the stuff that i have posted it only comes to about $230 without ram so i don't think that my budget is too small to be at $300 it's just right :)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@jack,
Each can build their own machine as they wish. (LOL) (LOL)
Remember all those ECON charts Mod Scott and I were discussing.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Here's an article from Tom's Hardware a few months back, it was their $500 gaming PC complete with specs. Both Tom's and Anandtech do system builds, with the low end usually being a sub $1000 PC. Since you are not looking to build an entire system, you should be able to find your parts there well within your budget, plus you also get reviews on the parts as well.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.