How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

$2500 to spend building a PC

(27 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by kylonewton
  • Latest reply from kylonewton
  • Topic Viewed 1572 times

kylonewton

Hey everyone,

I've come to that time when I need a new computer. I have a budget of $2500 give or take, I'd prefer to keep it under this amount but if there's major advantages of spending more I can go slightly higher. I'm a bit of a noob but I've been reading about everything a lot for the past few months and I believe I'd be perfectly capable of building my own, it's just a matter of what parts I should pick. My main purpose for the computer will be college work, I'll be using programs such as Autodesk Autocad Civil 3D and I'd like to be able to open and close applications like this at speed. I'm not much of a gamer but I do enjoy games such as Modern Warfare or Black Ops from time to time. The only part I have picked at the moment is the Cooler Master Haf X case. I've read a lot of good stuff about it and will probably go with it. So basically I'm just asking would anyone be able to recommend a motherboard, RAM, SSD, cooling system, optical drive, power supply, CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Also I'll probably build the computer now and wait for Windows 8 to come out before I buy an operating system. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

kylonewton

Also forgot to mention I'm in Ireland and prices are slightly higher here than they are in USA :(

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

A good place to start and read is MAXIMUMPC. They do this regularly spec out everything and also have steps to do it. See this FOR INSTANCE ON A $2,000 USD machine. Here is an IVY BRIDGE that comes in a little less in cost.

I don't build anymore, but if I did, I'd at least look at what they build and 'tweak' as needed.

I'm also in the camp these days of buying systems, pre-built, tested, s/w I want usually installed, and warrantied, even if just for a year. You might want a boutique builder, like Dell's AURORA that they purchased, more towards what you might crave.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

kylonewton

Hey, thanks for the help, I quite like the Ivy Bridge PC you just mentioned above, I might go with something like that with a few parts upgraded. The main thing I'm not too sure about is the graphics cards. Should I go for single or dual, what kind of price range should i be looking at? etc.

I have looked at Dell, but I've had bad experiences with them in the past with an XPS desktop and XPS laptop so I'll probably never buy from them again.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Try Using PC Part Picker (google it)

Posted 1 year ago

kylonewton

Hey Owen,

I have tried it already, but I keep picking parts which lead to going way over budget and I don't know what I should and shouldn't sacrifice. If I complete a build on that site and post it here could you recommend any tweaks which you would make? Thanks for reply.

Posted 1 year ago

kylonewton

This is the best I could come up with so far

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e3z6

If anyone has any input let me know, thanks :)

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I just got a Dell XPS 8500 for my wife. Basically STOCK, and it was FAST... then I put in an SSD and it is so fast the desktop is up and running in no time.

YES, I did have some problems and it has only ONE SATA III port, but for the money you'd be hard pressed to beat it performance wise. Kicker was it included a super 24" Ultra display that normally sells for $350 USD, and the total system cost was under $1,000 USD including that display.

The ONLY think I have against any Vendor builds, too many proprietary parts. Especially motherboards. Makes upgrading almost impossible. Then again, many times the cost of upgrading motherboard, RAM, and CPU can cost almost as much as a new machine.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

kylonewton,

Can you get components from Amazon UK ????

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=.....oards+1155

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Are you serious? One 240GB SSD drive? Surely you must have another one.

Suggestion, get a 120 or so SSD used for the OS and then a 1TB normal HD for data. It will cost about the same at the single SSD.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

No sound either?

Irv S.

EDIT: Never mind, built-in on the motherboard, but no speakers?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The prices of SSDs are coming down.

If one doesn't try to store a billion iTunes or all of youtube, a couple of 256GB SSDs will do just fine.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

kylonewton

Hey Rick,

Yup, I can get parts from Amazon UK no problem.

Oh sorry forgot to mention, I already have another hard drive from my old computer, 750gb western digital so that should do fine, I did forget about sound though, oops haha.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Just to point out; $2500 = 2012.25 EUR, about 2 grand GBP

€ 2 012.25 = 1 596.94217 GBP

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Your PC Part Picker Build was good, but is quite underbudet - about £1500

Posted 1 year ago

kylonewton

Also have speakers by the way, the reason I kept it so far below budget was to allow for buying Windows 8 when it's released, would it be worth upgrading the motherboard to one with LGA2011 support and getting the Core i7-3930K Processor, I can afford it if it's really worth it but from what I'm reading it'd just be complete overkill? When would the 6 cores become really useful? Is it 2 or 3 years away or would we be talking more like 5 or 6?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Personally, I'd still go with a 120GB SSD and a new 1TB drive for the same price as the 240GB SSD. Why? Because of two reasons :

1) My personal ways of segregating partitions. OS with ONLY OS stuff and things I want restored with the OS, like browser, e-mail client, backup program, etc., and if on an SSD, things that don't get written to every time the computer is used if possible (they go on another drive partition). 90GB's or more is sufficient in most cases for this. Now at least 2 data drives, and on two physical drives if possible. First one for data, you can cut it up into partitions if you wish. One for data you want to backup and the other for 'scratch' stuff, like downloads and temporary stuff you might put on your computer, or stuff you really don't care about losing. Last drive for backup storage so you can have more than one to return too if you need to do a restore of any drive letter.

2) Old drives have lost some life. Failure is sooner than later. Any drive past 4 years in my experience is possible to fail soon. Also, older drives are probably NOT SATA III. Your new system does support that, why not get the last ounce of speed out of it. There is little to no cost in getting a smaller SSD and a 1TB vs. a single larger SSD.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

When will s/w developers write for 4 cores, much less 6? Mostly the OS handles that now, and not really in a big way. You do get more speed and throughput though.

Sometimes spending a few dollars more today means it could be months or years before you feel the need to replace the system later.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

kylonewton

Advice taken on board Irv S. Thanks a million! I've switched to a 120gb SSD and a 1TB HDD, little or no increase in cost so makes perfect sense.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

kylonewton,

Here's a Build using Amazon.com.uk

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=7

Compile the components parts from the links I've given and post back a complete Build on this topic thread.

We will finish this up in no time flat. :) ;)

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!