The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

1st Computer Build

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by FactionZer0
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 738 times

FactionZer0

Alright so it's come to that time where I'm going to build a new computer mainly for gaming. I gave myself a $1,000 budget and came to about $850. I'm not an expert on computer building, so I just would like to know if the parts I chose are compatible and if not, could somebody critique it?

Also, this desktop will be wireless and I think the motherboard supports that, if not please note.

Processor: AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 990X Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI Ready

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD5000AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200RPM, 16MB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B 8GB Memory Module Kit - DDR3, 4GB x 2, 2133MHz, CL11, DIMM, XMP Ready

Video Card(I'm looking at two different ones):
1: MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC Radeon HD 7770 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x DVI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready, Eyefinity, Overclocked

2: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 01G-P3-1556-KR Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0(x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready

Casing: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N Chaser MK-I Full Tower Gaming Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 4x Ext 5.25", 6x Int 3.5", 2x 200mm Fans, 1x 140mm Fan, 2x USB 3.0 Ports, 2x USB 2.o Ports, 1x eSATA Port, Colorshift Fans

Cooling Fan: Corsair CWCH80 Hydro H80 CPU Liquid Cooler - 120mm Fan, LGA775, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, LGA 2011, AM2, AM3

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR-600 TR2 ATX Power Supply - 600W, 120mm Fan, Cable Managment Optimized

DVD Drive(I have an old gateway one I might use but if not): LG GH24NS90B Internal 24X DVD Writer - SATA, M-Disc Compatible, Windows 7 Compatible, OEM, Black

Posted 1 year ago

FactionZer0

I decided to ditch the Corsair RAM for:

RAM: Patriot G2 Series PGQ316G1600ELQK 16GB Memory Enhanced Latency Quad Kit - PC12800, 1600 MHz, DDR3, XMP Ready, RoHS

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

FactionZerO, do you realize your motherboard is a PCI-Express 2.0 (x16) and your video card is a PCI-Express 3.0 (x16). Also you might want to change your psu.
Check here (under trier 5) http://www.eggxpert.com/forums.....spx#323050

Posted 1 year ago

Marksheet
Marksheet

FactionZer0,

If you really want to impress folks with your rig, I suggest you to take a look on the Zebronics Invader Cabinet... Also, instead of going for LG Drive, I would suggest to go for any ASUS DVD Drives, they will be a little costly... but the performance is worth it.. Also, why you are not going for a SSD ?? You can try out Transcend's or Samsung's SSD. They've got some very impressing stock out there...

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Spammer

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Poof! Gone.

Posted 1 year ago

Zanghetsu
Zanghetsu

FactionZer0,

I obviously don't know where you plan to buy your HDD from but I do have 2 reccomendations. I do not reccomend SSD if you are going to be primarily gaming. Yes, SSDs are very fast and rather expensive. If your budget is $850 I would avoid SSDs for the time being. Also, consider that even though they are fast, and many people buy them to significantly increase the speed of their OS, that's about all its good for unless you plan on strictly using SSDs. For example, even though they transfer data at a fast rate, that data has to be transferred to another hard drive (id assume youll eventually have more than one since gamers need a decent amount of space to store games), if the second HDD you purchase if not an SSD the transfer rate of speed decreases since you are transferring that data to a slower performing drive. That said, I would recommend leaving SSDs alone for the time being. Also, Look at the price differenciation between these two drives one of which you plan on purchasing

Western Digital 500GB -------> http://www.amazon.com/Western-.....hard+drive

Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive -----------> http://www.amazon.com/Western-.....hard+drive

From a personal standpoint, I would purchase the 1TB simply because it is not only twice the size but roughly the same price. It is, in my opinion, a serious bang for your buck.

Hope I could be of help ^_^

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Initial Posting is (2) days old.

Sometimes the Original Poster never returns.

Will have to wait to give recommendations and suggestions.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!