169 IP Address

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by alfreddennis
  • Latest reply from hukiworld
  • Topic Viewed 14195 times

alfreddennis
alfreddennis

Hey Guys,

IP addresses of 169.254.x.y means that your computer could not reach your DHCP servers to be assigned an address. The easy solution is to repair your Local Area Connection. What kind of modem do you have? Do you have a router, as well?

If you know what your DHCP server addresses are supposed to be you can always assign them manually and then repair your LAC, or use the command prompt for the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew method.

Failing that, you would have to make sure that your ethernet card is working and that your ISP hasn't suspended your account for some reason. If everything is perfect.. what do i do before my brain goes crazy..!!?

Lots of causes for 169.254.....

So.. here is my Question..

How do I fix a 169.x.x.x ip address so I can get online .. Is there a proper and procedural walk through..? Please Help..

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What kind of connection do you have to the Internet? Please describe the hardware and connections, for example all modems and routers.

This 169.x.x.x is assigned by Windows APIPA when a local DHCP address can't be assigned. The device on the other end of the ethernet cable from your PC is the one that should be assigning an IP. That device is acting as a DHCP server, or should be.

Posted 5 years ago

alfreddennis
alfreddennis

Thanks for joinin the conversation Scott..!
Mine is a High speed 1MBps Connection.With NETGEAR DG834GT (5.2K) ( ADSL Modem cum Router)

Thanks..

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

So, you have a DSL modem and router combined in one device. That Netgear modem/router has a nice manual:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2328

Have you tried following the instructions? There is a troubleshooting section that mentions 169.254.x.x IP addresses.

Posted 5 years ago

hukiworld
hukiworld

Simple fix to the evil 169 address my fellow eggs... Unistall driver for LAN network adapters in device manager>> restart pc>> if your machine is virus-free, it should reinstall the driver again on it's own and get a good ip address again and your done :-) Lets recap...

1- open device manager in control panel or by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "properties"
2- click "plus" sign next to Network Adapters in device manager
3- double click on your LAN Ethernet adapter to open up window and click "Driver" tab
4- click "Unistall" and once done, just restart your pc and your done :-)

Once your back on desktop, connect your ethernet cable and you should be surfing again unless you have a virus or internal issue and the evil ip came back lmao! If you use a router, you can connect everything back again after you follow steps as if connecting straight to modem.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!