(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by blis53
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 701 times

blis53

I have only 11 gb of free spaced on a computer with 283. no photos, docs, music

Posted 1 year ago

whs

You probably have a load of restore points. Run this command in ELEVATED Command Prompt:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Look for the number behind "Allocated". If I am right, post back and I tell you have to get rid of that stuff.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Have a read on this post and this article. Might be relevant to your disk space problem. It is on Windows 7 but also applicable to Vista.

Posted 1 year ago

blis53

this is all that was listed -

Shadow copy storage association
For volume: <D:>\\?\Volume {9cd196cd-0806-11de-9c38-806e6f6e6963}\
Shadow Copy Storage volume: <D:?\\?\Volume{9cd196ce-0806-lide-9c38-806e6f6e6963}\
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 1.916 GB
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.156 GB
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.197 GB

Shadow Copy Storage association
For volume: <C:>\\?\Volume {9cd196cf-0806-lide-9c38-806e6f6e6963\
Shadow Copy Storage volume: <C:>\\?\Volume{9cd196cf-0806-lide-9c38-806e6f6e6963\
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 230.534 GB
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 232.741 GB
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: UNBOUNDED

Posted 1 year ago

blis53

G41M,

Thanks for the link. I will read it:)

Posted 1 year ago

whs

There you got it - 232GB chipped away from your disk space. Run the following command: (just copy/paste it into your cmd window)

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=10%

That should be sufficient.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

I was just going to post that whs but i was going to set a size in GB's...didn't know you could set it as a %. Something worth remembering. :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Well, I don't know what the size of his C partition is. So % is a safe bet. See last line from my cmd example copy.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin resize shadowstorage /?
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Resize ShadowStorage /For=ForVolumeSpec /On=OnVolumeSpec /MaxSize=MaxSizeSpec
- Resizes the maximum size for a shadow copy storage association between
ForVolumeSpec and OnVolumeSpec. Resizing the storage association may cause shadow
copies to disappear. As certain shadow copies are deleted, the shadow copy storage
space will then shrink. If MaxSizeSpec is set to the value UNBOUNDED, the shadow copy
storage space will be unlimited. MaxSizeSpec can be specified in bytes or as a
percentage of the ForVolumeSpec storage volume. For byte level specification,
MaxSizeSpec must be 300MB or greater and accepts the following suffixes: KB, MB, GB, TB,

PB and EB. Also, B, K, M, G, T, P, and E are acceptable suffixes. To specify MaxSizeSpe
c
as percentage, use the % character as the suffix to the numeric value. If a suffix is no
t
supplied, MaxSizeSpec is in bytes.

Example Usage: vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=D: /MaxSize=900MB
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=D: /MaxSize=UNBOUNDED
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=20%

C:\Windows\system32>

Posted 1 year ago

blis53

Whs,

I did what you said but I entered 300MD instead of the 10%; only because I initially got an error message because I hadn't used the elevated command prompt and saw your MazSizeSpec must be 300MB or greater. Is that the same as 10%?

I now have 243 GB out of 283 GB. And just like that the problem is solved after months and months of trying to figure it out. I even emailed all my documents etc. to my work and then tranferred everything to my external hard drive. Thank's so much. Now I'll know where to do when I can't figure something out.

Sandy

Posted 1 year ago

blis53

Now except for this website, all others are taking forever to download.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

If you need System Restore 300MB is too small...you'll not get many system restore points with that size. Set it to 10% or 10GB...that should do.

Glad you got sorted anyway. :)

Tony

Has that just started? It will have nothing to with altering the VSS.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

300MB is a lot less than the 10%. I suggest you set it bigger than 300MB because each restore point will be between 500MB and 1GB. And in Vista you get 1 restore point per day and 1 restore point every time you install or uninstall a program or an update.

I always like to have at least 10 days worth of restore points. They are not only handy for system restore (which does not always work), but also for recovering lost files - see here how to do. So about 10 to 20GB should be OK for you. You have enough space on the disk for that.

In addition I highly suggest you do weekly imaging. Here is how - it is the same in Vista as in Win7. That will bail you out when the restore points don't work.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

"That will bail you out when the restore points don't work."

That's a certainty at some point. I only use SR specifically as and when I might be doing a quick test but otherwise it's off.

Posted 1 year ago

blis53

Thank you so much for helping me. I will increase the system restore. My computer is back to it's normal download speed. I'm happy I found you guys, I have a feeling this is going to be a very useful place to visit:)

Sandy

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Happy we could help you. Catch you later. :)

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Hi Sandy, come back and visit any time with any PC problem. We are glad to help.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.