How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Site Suggestion: 1 post users

(54 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from Mike
  • Topic Viewed 6224 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

Wow, this topic got very popular. It is nice that the post doesn't have to be deleted if the user is, because occasionally helpful information does come up by 1-time posters. This forum is already better than most in the way it is run, and in my opinion, it is due in part to this section of the forum, and moderators that actually use the forum.

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

i read the the posts every day,but only post something every once in awhile.so if these changes you guys are talking about are done,how will that effect me? i don't want to be labeled a one post user if i don't post for a certain amount of time.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Mike. I don't think that will happen. The Geek looks after his own :)

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

thanks LH,i was worried a little, i knew someone here would have my back.happy new year to you and yours.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

And all the very best to you and your tribe Mike :)

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

thanks LH, tribe,yes i do have some cherokee in my blood (LOL)
mike

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

LH knows many things :)

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

thats scary (LOL) well iam off to watch the ball drop (on tv) happy new year to everyone.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Don't worry, we definitely won't be deleting any accounts for being inactive =)

The only real question is deleting accounts that have never been used ever, since they are just wasting available usernames.

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

thats great news geek,thanks for this great site. happy new year to you and yours. looking forward to many more years here at HTG.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

And if The Geek does that, Mike will be available. Put your bid in now :)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Mike, stay online for a bit if you can...

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

LH,you have a great memory.actually i wanted to lose the 104 and just have mpc as my username. geek,if mpc comes availble, like LH suggests,i am officially putting in my request to change my username to MPC. thank you both.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

ok scott

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Mike, mpc is an active user. We can give you 'Mike' with the same join date but without access to your old posts. Your choice.

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

SCOTT, Mike works for me, thank you. will i need to change any profile settings? again thank you guys very much.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I'm not sure about The Geek but I would only consider users with about 10 posts or less who haven't used the forum for 10 months for deleting. Even then I think it would be best to leave those accounts alone as even with 2 posts, it's possible someone could come back later. Far less likely with 1 post but it could still happen.
The main reason to delete accounts is when they take up a lot of space like email accounts.
For this forum, database space is not a concern due the small amount of space text takes up.
Besides the user accounts, this forum already stores the edit history of every post and keeps all the deleted posts around in the database for mods to view if they want to.

mpc104, you have 284 posts and still post within a time frame of a few months so I don't think your account would ever be up for deletion if accounts were being deleted.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

MIke, please register with 'Mike' as your username. Be quick :)

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

jd,yeah i felt that way too but it never hurts to ask questions.thanks for your comments.happy new to you and yours.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew
amkeew

Deleting accounts to free up user names seems a bit unimaginative. After all, how difficult it is for a person to whip up another user name, if the one he wanted is taken up already ?

There may be members, who may choose not to post (for whatever tinfoil reason) but would still like to browse here. It is unfair to them that their accounts will be deleted just because they are not contributing.

As for database management, how much space could a infrequent or no-post member could take up ?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.