How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Site Suggestion: 1 post users

(54 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from Mike
  • Topic Viewed 6224 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

I have noticed many users only post one message, and are never seen again. I do not know if it is because once their question is answered they never come back (without even saying "thank you" I might add) or if they just forget about the site.

I would like the mods and The Geek's opinion on creating a Guest posting option for those that will only be using the forum one time.

It could use captcha to keep away bots and be restricted to "X" posts from any given IP (which is not full-proof, but it may help some). The guest posts could be separated into a separate section (Instead of Win XP, Win Vista, Mac OSX, etc.) and the drop down that has these would simply be there to determine the area of the question. This "guest" forum could then be purged after "X" amount of days or moved into a permanent forum if information that may be useful to many people were to arise in it. (This of course would be controlled by the mods.) I suggest this because often the 1-post users ask very basic questions that may already be on HTG. Doing this would keep the size of the database down, though I would assume not enough to affect much, but it may help keep it more organized.

As a plus:
I was thinking of this to keep names from being taken up. For example if a user has the name "user123" and only uses the site one time, and an individual comes along who would really like to use that name and will be a regular user, then "user123" would still be available.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You're definitely right, we need to do something about the people that never return, and perhaps purge the screennames of people that never posted or never logged in.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

For what it's worth, I agree with you both. I was thinking maybe you would have to post a minimum number of times or you would get deleted, but that could just make the problem 'x' times bigger! What about a time limit after your first post? Maybe two weeks with no more activity? Can you actually monitor that?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Even a one time poster could have posted a valuable bit of info. Would you want that to be automatically deleted ?

Edit. My error. I just tested on a member I deleted (back when I was moderating), and the posts still remain, but "member" shows as "anonymous", "unregistered".

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Yeah good point, I suppose not. I take it when you delete your profile all your posts go with you? I think then the Geek's idea of a seperate place is a good one.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

separate, sorry

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Colin. You can edit your posts for 30 mins or so.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Lol, OK then sorry. I'm still trying to get my head round the etiquette of posting on forums, but I'm learning! I'm still trying to come up with suggestions for this, but nothing springs to mind which already hasn't been suggested, so I'll come back here if I do. Cheers, Col

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I edited my post (4 up), Please read (I have red face :)

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Lol, no worries. A lady at my work couldn't get onto the network the other day, so I tried everything I know to fix it. About half an hour, and her network cable wasn't plugged in to her laptop. I bet your face isn't that red. :)

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I had one like that a few weeks ago. Had wired up a place, Lights, wall sockets, etc. When I came to turn everything on in the switchbox, nothing worked.
I'm standing there puzzled, and my mate said "have you turned on the main power supply ?", Me, "Oh yeah, forgot about that" :)

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew
amkeew

Talking about editing one's posts, why the time limit to fix posts ?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The unlimited time limit was being abused.
People were going back to their really old posts and changing them. There may have been other abuses too but I'm not sure what they were.
After that it was decided that 30 minutes is all that is needed to correct spelling/grammer errors with the theory that correcting spelling/grammer all most people need to edit for anyways.

I don't like the 30 minute limit but I understand why it needed to be set. Without any edit history, there is no way to know what the original post was so someone could edit an old post where they said mean, remove that and make seem like the replies are dumb as they would be critizing a post that wasn't there.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Lol, we all do it. Never makes you feel good. What I meant to say and forgot to was that I was wondering if there was a really simple way to fix the original issue (remember that? lol) and I'm missing it? I always seem to make things more complicated. I mean you can't limit the site to particular people (within reason of course) as it goes against its whole ethos of helping people who otherwise would be pulling their hair out. I think jmcguire's idea is probably the best one. I know HP (or is it MS?) do a thing on their support pages with checkboxes saying 'was this helpful?', so maybe something like that here? 10 'no's' and you're out, or something. Col

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew
amkeew

Thanks jd. Got it.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Certainly "unlimited" edit time is a pain for moderators. But something like 12 hours would be better I think.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I think allowing guest posting would be fine as long as the guests had to provide their location (helpful to know the users time zone and what technology/stores/etc they have available to help fix their problem if needed) and prove they were not a spammer somehow.

Edit:
@LH: I think that could still be abused.
I think for a longer edit time there are two options:
1. Display the edit history to all users, then at least anyone could see if the function was abused. Right now only the mods can view be the post edit revisions.
2. After the edit limit turn the edit function into an append only function. Then users can at least add addition information to their posts after the edit limit is up.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

@jd. Of course it could still be abused. But we are only talking 12 hours, not days, weeks, months, like it was.
And normally, a post edit by a member in the the way of abuse, would get that member blocked pretty quickly.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Colin. The nice thing about this site, is it's simplicity. There are minor niggles for sure, but, keep it simple.
But also for me, maybe others too, I would like to have a column on the the right of Freshness,
that had V or X or whatever, to indicate the category of the topic, (with maybe, a possibility to mark it, so that I can quickly detect threads I'm currently either working on, or interested in, in the short term).

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Yes LH I totally see your point, there's minor niggles on every website I suppose. I don't actually have any issues with website, except for maybe every time I come on here I realise how much I still have to learn! :) Having said that, having this wealth of experience willing to answer questions for the layman (so far...) like myself (for nothing, I may add) is what makes this site probably the best one of its kind. Hats off to everyone involved! I do like the idea of the column up the side giving you quick access to other parts of the site though, but we have to remember The Geek does have a job too!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!