How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

@ whs

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2934 times

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

my next build i plan on using the 60gb ocz ssd with windows7. what are the pro's and cons of the ssd you've come across so far? i'll also be using western digital 500gb hdd as a back up. i may or may not use the i7 processor if that makes any difference.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Moved to W7 forum.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Oz, The pros are that the SSD is really very fast when you install the OS properly. That means, you have to have an installation disk (e.g. the one you burnt from the W7 RC download. That is how I installed W7 Beta (I am currently not using the SSD because I left it in Florida and I am in Germany during the summer). I also tried to install Vista from my recovery disk or with the help of Norton Ghost. But none of that worked.
There are not really any cons except that you have to learn an awful lot of stuff. The OCZ Forum is the best source of information. Make sure you do the alignment and once W7 is installed, you need to make the tweaks. Here is a link for the Tweak Utility which makes that easy.
I don't think the processor makes a big difference. It should go well with the i7 - both being fast. It is good that you also have the 500GB WD. That will allow you to use it eventually for the very large user files (such as videos). 60GBs on the SSD are enough for normal operation, but as soon as you get masses of user data, you may run out of space.

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

thanks whs, the link will help me out a lot too.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

No problem OZ. If you have more questions, let me know. Maybe I know the answer, maybe not - LOL.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, here is some good reading from the Engineering Windows 7 blog about using SSD with Win7:
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archi.....s-and.aspx

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

good link scott, just by reading over it real quick i've found some interesting information. thanks

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, it definitely looks like Win7 is the way to go for an SSD. Since it already handles superfetch, defrag, and indexing settings, you probably don't need a tweak tool. Also, it's nice to hear that, "...all of the partition-creating tools in Windows 7 place newly created partitions with the appropriate alignment." So there is no need to pre-configure partitions due to alignment.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!