The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

@ The Geek- Command Prompt

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Dcw329
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 1982 times

Dcw329

Hey, I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here.

I have thought of a good idea for a good "How-To Lesson".

I'm pretty good with computers as far as the general population goes, BUT I realize how little I (, and everyone else for that matter,) knows when it comes to the programing world. You have quite often mentioned the Command Prompt in your How-To lessons. (If you don't already have one,) I believe you should make a lesson on how to use basic commands in the Command Prompt.

The Command Prompt seems like it would be a very useful tool if you knew how to use it. Not only how to open the Internet Explore, but you should also share information on what it means when we get a error/feedback, and things that are important, but couldn't be understood by computer illiterate individuals.

You could share information on what the command would be to opening a file, simply by typing it in... all the way as-to explaining what can and can-not be done with it. Tell your readers what it is doing to the computer when they paste in a command from your other pages.

I got interested in the Command Prompt when I found one of your "Stupid Geek Tricks" page. It was about how to test your computers limitations (, or just screw with your computer for fun). You would type in a code and it would show spheres floating around in Full Screen mode. You could set it for a time limit, add more objects, change the objects shape, etc. (I can't find the page or I would post it... come to think of it, I cant find anything twice on your website it's so vast, lol.) There are other pages that mention the Command Prompt, but I can't remember which ones.

I'm not saying that you need to start a new generation of Bill Gates's, but I don't think any "Geek Website" of your magnitude could ever be complete without information on how to use the Command Prompt to it's fullest.

I'm not sure how backed-up you are on your work, or how hard-pressed you are to come up with a new idea, but I think this would be a good one to add to the "To-Do List".

Thank you for taking your time.

Possibly a Future Loyal Member,

Dcw329

PS: I think I can speak for everyone when I say "Thank you Dr. Geek, I appreciate you sharing important information about our computer on the web. This is one of the best sites for multiple reasons. I choice the top 10, but trust me, there are more things not mentioned.

1: You clearly state what you are teaching before you get into it. 2: You make it simple, fast, and easy to understand by showing pictures and using plain language. 3: By doing this, you allow non-high-tech people do cool and high-tech things with there computer without working for hours to learn how. 4: You present us with a comment spot at the bottom, and YOU yourself, a professional, will actually help us if a problem arises. 6: You have a forms page with active people helping fix computers, even if your not around. People like Lighthouse, Scott, ScottW, whs, and jd2066. This is just mentioning what I've seen in the past couple of days. (Sorry if I forgot someone else dedicated to the site.) 7: If you don't know the answer, you will clearly state "I don't know, let me get back to you." So we at least know to check back, and then you ACTUALLY do get back to us. 8: You have a very professional website, and you don't have a advertisement for "Finding Your TRUE Love 'on-line'" off to the right side of the page. 9: You regularly update the site. 10: And the MOST IMPORTANT , by far, is that you give us all of this, with no down payment and no PLUS memberships. And that is the most appreciated thing of all. Thank You" :)

Posted 6 years ago

Dcw329

Who agrees that we need a Command Prompt section on the website for some of the uneducated in the house?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I think that's a good idea, I should really write more command prompt articles. Thanks for the feedback, too :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

How about this one for starters http://technet.microsoft.com/d.....y/bb491071(en-us).aspx

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

That's a Good one !!

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Lifehacker has a great article on the command prompt today, although you'll notice many of the commands are linux related.

http://lifehacker.com/399468/t.....line-tools

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!