How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

@ Rick...i3

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 409 times

StringJunky
StringJunky

Rather than derail a topic, I'll ask you here mate :) Please critique the i3 and why it should be avoided.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That would interest me too.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

i thought it would. :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Knew some one would ask me to go up on Intel Website and do a CPU Technical Comparison Chart. (LOL)

Not being a "Wise Acre" but All Senior Repliers should be able to do this for themselves and know this stuff by heart.

I'll do it later in the day. :)

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Compare to your heart's content. (LOL) :) :)

http://www.intel.com/content/w.....ssors.html

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hmm, you speak wise, but in riddles. I don't think we were looking for charts, but for the reaons why you are so adamantly opposing an i3 for a couple of kids.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Compare the tech specs of the CPUs whs.

I speak only to the technical Specifications of computer hardware.

I do NOT care who the hardware is for or the age of the users, etc..

I'm NOT a Temporary Associate in a Big Box Store hired on to sell "junk" to low knowledge holiday shoppers.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

a) I really do not thing that the i3 is junk

b) the price/performance score of the i3 is better or about the same than some i5s - see this anandtech chart: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

c) I think our advice should be tuned to the requirements. I see no need for a high end laptop for a couple of young kids that want to play a few benign games which have no high performance requirements. I know you like everybody to have a golden mobo and the latest i7 at 5GHz, a couple of high end graphics cards, 32GB of RAM and 5 raided SSDs - and all of that in a big box. But some can do with less.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Just bought an i3 laptop for my 9yr old grandson. Would like to know if everyones first car was a BMW or some lower end set of wheels?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Good point g-x. I had to wait to car #45 to get a Mercedes. My first (used) car was a DKW with a 900cc two stroke engine which cost DM 800 - at the time that was equal to $200. And I got around. Never owned a BMW though.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@germ-x

Your Grandson is very lucky. :) :)

My Grand Father SOLD me my first car for $200.

It was his old Chevy dirt road mail carrier car with 250,000 miles on it.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Only been 10 times round the world, or to the moon, before you got it then Rick LOL!:D

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah had to rebuild the motor before I could drive it off to school. (LOL) (LOL)

When I finished college, I sold it for $200 so it was not such a bad deal after all. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Unless the kids are going to be doing some serious gaming on the laptops, I would think the I-3 would be plenty. The notebook I bought last summer has an I-3 and is fine for web surfing, Word Processing, and light photo editing, all with Media Monkey playing mp3s at the same time (I got it mostly for use when on the road). I wouldn't dream of using it for streaming HD movies, serious photo editing, playing music, downloading large files, etc. all at the same time.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.