How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

@ Rick

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by whs
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 479 times

whs
whs

Have a look at this. Beats Raid. And here is how. http://www.softpedia.com/get/S.....Disk.shtml

In the next step I am looking to install the whole OS on a RAMdisk. One of my systems I am going to upgrade to 16GB of RAM and then I can fit my Windows 8 running in VMware which is a 12GB folder. That ought to be interesting too.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

:) :)

Add a RAM Disk to Your Computer for Faster-than-SSD Performance
http://lifehacker.com/5969767/.....erformance

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

whs and Rick,

i am curious to see if this ramdisk will work or not, i read on the website something about it could slow your system down using a regular hard drive please advise if you think if i should be worried or not. i have 18 gigs of ram.

Thanks,

John

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

After reading this, for laughs, I created a 1GB RAM drive with Data RAM and installed 64bit Waterfox browser to it...WOW!...Comodo Dragon is like a drunk slug compared to Waterfox held in RAM. The pages were changed and rendered faster than I could blink sometimes...it was quite a sight! :D I did get a blue screen after Windows was on the desktop after rebooting though which repeated itself on restart...had to go into Safe Mode to sort it out. I'd have to research a bit see what the problem was unless you guys know already. I have 3GB of RAM so that might be the problem...too small.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Blue screens indicate most probably need 8 or more gigs of Ram.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

How much of 8 Gigs would you give a browser Rick? Bear in mind it did this on startup before or as the ram drive loaded with the browser being loaded into it from the stored image. I'd definitely do it again with more ram.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

hey rick do you have Google talk?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Jim.
No, I try to be careful with google as no one knows what they're up to and how they collect data, etc...

@Tony,
I'm not sure but remember I always advise a machine have 16GB of Ram when Building.

A program's addressing scheme I think come into play also.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I think I can have 2x4GB

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

There is a Free Version of this.
http://memory.dataram.com/prod.....e/ramdisk/

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

That's the one I used Rick. It does the job with the caveat of having sufficient RAM of course.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!