Read just our best, feature-length articles without all the extra stuff.
Lincoln Logs Were Invented By?
Read our first book, the HTG Guide to Windows 8, or check our upcoming books.
Subscribe to our daily email newsletter, chock full of great articles and tips.
Why hello there my little pets!
I guess I should clean my computer caNOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE [via Reddit]
Akemi Iwaya (Asian Angel) is our very own Firefox Fangirl who enjoys working with multiple browsers and loves 'old school' role-playing games. Visit her on Twitter and Google+.
I take it it was opened because it didn’t run?
Wow! When was the last time this system was cleaned.
Try CCleaner next time, haha!
With the size of that spider think I would consider something with a little stopping power
My extremely, almost fanatically, clean Sister’s computer looked like this when I opened it to install more memory for her. She was so horrified she went out and bought another one. “I didn’t know you could open them”!
@Yoshiyah The spider cleaned it last week, but he threw a big party last night and his buddies got a little out of control.
The modern use of the term “bug” has been around for more than 100 years
In Hawkin’s New Catechism of Electricity (Theo. Audel & Co, 1896) the following definition appears:
“The term ‘bug’ is used to a limited extent to designate any fault or trouble in the connections or working of electric apparatus.”
It has been suggested that the word originated in a popular belief that interference in telephone calls was caused by bugs in the cables.
This is usually a great pic of bugs . Bugs get into the computer system and create their living home in the computer body .
Surprised that no one else succumbed :
“Did you open the case to improve access to the “web” ?”
“Did it jump our and “Byte” you?”
Sure there are more hoary old puns – but probably none worse – so I won’t spin it out any longer.
I read a while ago that “bug”, as a computer related term, originated when computers took up entire rooms and an actual bug got stuck in a vacuum tube, causing an error in the system.
This is ugly, but I think the worst thing I’ve seen in a clients computer is when it’s become a “roach motel”. Amazing it still worked at all. Close it up, sterilize everything, including yourself and go home. Scary stuff.
Asian ants were crazy about something inside my HP laptops. If I left one where ants were cruising, when I turned it on the heat produced soon would have dozens coming out of every opening. It was not possible to use them on my lap because in no time I’d find them crawling all over me. Those HP units were full of bugs in a number of ways, which is one of the reasons I switched brands.
re: Justin Beard’s comment. The way I heard it — Grace Hopper (the grandmother of COBOL, and an Admiral in the U.S. Navy) found a moth in one of the first computers (a large vacuum-tube mainframe). The moth caused the computer to fail, and Grace made a comment about “a bug in the computer”. See Wikipedia; Grace Hopper – for more.
One day my computer was acting up and I thought I could smell something burning from where I was sitting. The next day, the computer wouldn’t POST at all. I opened it up, and a dead, burned spider was located right over the CMOS battery. A brand new board…dead. Luckily it was an MSI board that I hated even when it was “working”, and I replaced it with my current EVGA board that is a champ.
Wonder no more!!!
Welcome to the World Wide Web, now you know where the name came from
I am sure, this is a Mac, if it was PC , then it would have had Windows so that creepy things get out@!.
This appears to be the older version of a jump drive!
Spider went in there cause he thought he get easy lunch from buggy Windows!
One of my friend asked me to help him change the crashed hdd in his roommate’s comp..
I goes there and opened the cpu of these under aged students to found a big roll of Condoms in there..
How about that….
Cool! A system that doubles as a terrarium! That’s legen – wait for it – dary! LEGENDARY!!! :D
The most common prescription bottle color is orange; the color is just the right hue to prevent light from damaging photosensitive medication, while allowing enough visible light into the container to illuminate the contents.
Enter your email address to subscribe to our daily newsletter.