If you’re tired of the default Music application for your Android phone, now you’ve got another option to play all those MP3 files—and it’s Winamp.
This release syncs with the Winamp application on your desktop—and here’s where it gets interesting: it syncs wirelessly. There’s a standard USB option available as well if you want, but wireless media sync is a great feature.
Here’s the list of features, from the announcement:
- Mobilize Your Library - A complete Android media management solution, that seamlessly syncs with your Winamp desktop library (USB or Wi-Fi).
- Wireless Desktop Sync - No need to tie your Android phone down. Enable Wi-Fi sync and leave your cable behind (Winamp 5.59 beta required).
- Persistent Player Controls - Quickly pause, change tracks, manage your play queue, see what's playing and access the Winamp home screen.
- Play Queue Management - The play queue is a temporary track listing that allows you to easily select and sort tracks. And if you like, save it as a playlist.
- Widget Players & Shortcuts - Add playlist shortcuts and the widget player to the Android home screen. As well as enable playback control from the lock-screen.
- Now Playing - Displays song info, album art and more. Press and hold on the song info to interact with other apps like Pandora, YouTube and the Amazon MP3 Store.
- Scrobbling - Supports scrobbling with the Last.fm app installed (on your Android device). Capturing all of your mobile listening history in real time.
Programmer by day, geek by night, The Geek, also known as Lowell Heddings, spends all his free time bringing you fresh geekery on a daily basis. You can follow him on Google+ if you'd like.
- Published 10/21/10