Quite a few people have been unanimously vocal in their dislike for the Modern UI, lack of a Start Menu, and more in Windows 8. Enter Windows Blue, a.k.a. Windows 8.1, and the rumors that Microsoft may be ready to compromise on some of the UI changes users want. The question is, if the rumors are true will it be enough to turn things around for Windows 8 or is it too late?
It is not hard to guess which UI changes users have been upset about and have went to significant lengths to counteract with third party software. Those changes being:
- The ability to bypass the Start Screen and boot directly to the desktop
- The return of the Start Menu
From the ZDNet blog post: Reports from a couple of different forums from this past weekend raised the possibility that Microsoft might be moving toward allowing users to skip booting into the Metro-Style Start menu and instead start their PCs in desktop mode.
One of my (Mary Jo Foley’s) sources confirmed this is now looking like the plan and added that Microsoft is also considering bringing back the Start button as an option with Windows Blue.
From the Verge blog post: We’re told that the option (boot directly to desktop) is disabled by default, allowing users to simply turn on the functionality should they want to avoid the “Metro” Start Screen at initial boot or login. We understand that the hot corner functionality, for access to the Charms and Start Screen, will remain intact if the boot to desktop option is enabled.
If the rumors prove to be true, then it would be quite a concession on Microsoft’s part and could lead to a large increase in the adoption of Windows 8. What are your thoughts?
- Are you pleased with Windows 8 in its current incarnation?
- Is it too late to ‘save’ Windows 8?
- Should people not care one way or the other about the changes and just wait for Windows 9?
- Would you reconsider using Windows 8 if the UI changes were instituted or will you forever remain a member of the ‘Hate 8 Club’?
You can read more about the rumored changes by visiting the two blog posts linked below…